Thursday, December 19, 2013

Blueberry Crumb Muffin Tops

When I saw Megan post about this delicious blueberry muffin-y goodness, I knew I needed to make them. I tweeked her recipe a little by adding and omitting some things and changing the name from cookie to tops because they taste more like the very top of a muffin than a cookie:) Great explanation huh?

What You'll Need:
{For the crumb}
-1/4 c flour
-1/4 c sugar
-2 Tbsp butter

{For the muffin top}
-1 c flour
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1 pkg room temperature sugar cookie dough
-3 oz room temperature cream cheese
-1 egg
-1/3 c milk
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 pint of blueberries
-1/2 c white chocolate chips (optional, but recommended) 

Begin by mixing the crumb mixture of flour, sugar, and butter. I cut the cold butter into small chunks and waited for it to soften a little before mixing. I found it easier to use my hands to combine the ingredients rather than a fork.

Set the crumb mixture aside. In another small bowl mix the remaining flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.

In a third larger bowl, mix the cookie dough and cream cheese together.

Next add the egg and vanilla. Mix well.

Add the flour mixture (not crumb mixture) to the cookie dough mixture. Mix just enough to incorporate but do not over mix.

I decided to make 1/2 of the muffin tops blueberry and the other half blueberry and white chocolate. I highly recommend this:)

Add 1/2 pint of blueberries to half the mixture if you're doing some with white chocolate. If not, add the entire pint to the whole mixture.
Just a warning, this is a very sticky dough.

Place 1 1/2 - 2 tbsp of batter on a greased cookie sheet.

Top each batter with the crumb mixture. The more you can pile on the better! I piled on a lot and still had some left over.
Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Mine took the full 20 minutes. 
Let the tops cool on a baking rack and enjoy! I liked these even better the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment