Thursday, January 2, 2014

Decisions for 2014

Resolutions: A firm decision to do or not to do something

I know a lot of people don't like the idea of resolutions. Many people argue that it's too easy to break resolutions or forget about them. But by the definition of a resolution, aren't we then just deciding not to do something we set out to do? It's seems like by not making resolutions and not doing them, we're making a conscious effort not improve ourselves our live our best life.

So whether you call them resolutions, goals, or sh*t I want to do, strive to make this year better than the last.

Here are my resolutions for 2014:

1/ Family Time
Be more present with the boys, especially Ben. J and I are going to devote special one on one time with each boy each week. It can be an outing or just doing something special at home. I also want to spend more time with J outside of the house. I'm not committing us to a date night every month, but something where we can get away from the monotony of everyday life.

2/ Less negativity 
This not only includes things I say and do, but people I surround myself with. 

3/ Healthy Living
Getting back into a gym routine and working out at least 3 days a week. I'd like to run another 1/2 marathon and am planning on the Go! 1/2 marathon in St. Louis on April 6th. I also want to do another color run and a few other local races in town. This also includes continuing to take my lunch to work more than I eat out. I also want to cut soda down to once a month. I don't drink a ton of it so it shouldn't be that hard to do.

4/ Organization
The home management binder is organized and up to date so now it's time to tackle things room by room. Finding a place for everything and purging or donating everything we no longer use or need. Simplicity  is key. This also includes keeping my purse and the diaper bag clean and organized.

5/ Professional Growth
Continue to try to balance work life and home life. By the end of last year I did pretty good at limiting myself to no more than 1 night a week where I worked late and if there are weeks where I don't work late at all, even better! I also want to grow more as a professional, read more articles and books, and put into practice things I've learned at conferences and trainings. 

6/ Personal Growth
Read more books, both educational and fun. Begin a daily devotional; Jesus Calling has been on my  list forever. Spend more time in prayer. Travel more, even if it's just to never visited places in our state. Master new recipes in the kitchen (more on this to come) and become more creative in my everyday fashion. I also need to cut down on the cussing-just keeping it honest. And a big one, get better with time management. Before having Jack, I was almost always early. Now I'm almost always late and that needs to stop. I also want to do more little unexpected things for other people whether I know them or not.

7/ Finances
I've managed to track our money and use a budget for all of 2013. I'm going to keep that going in 2014 with an even greater emphasis on saving. We want to begin building our forever house in the next 3 years so my goal is to put as much away for that as possible. J and I are also really lucky that we don't have tons of debt so I'd like to make a huge dent in my student loans from my Master's degree.

8/ The Blog
2014 will be the year of a new blog design. I also want to comment more on the posts I read and let people know how much I enjoy reading what they have to say.

9/ Fun fluff
All the not too important stuff, but if I want to get it done, I better be listing it. Paint my nails once a week and remove polish right away when it's chipped. I also need to get better about washing my face and taking my makeup off before bed at night. Beat level 300 on Candy Crush-sorry had to put that in there:) Try new restaurants and dishes instead of playing it safe. 

And when I saw this, I thought it'd summed everything up pretty well.

Happy 2014! 
Do you set resolutions? If so, what are they?

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! I can identify with so many of the things on your list. I want to get moving, start a devotional, and strive to find that work life/family life balance. Hope your 2014 is a wonderful one!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a great start to the new year.

      Delete