Wednesday, March 26, 2014

No Fuss Creamy Potato Soup {With Bacon}

I've been on the search for that perfect Potato Soup recipe for several years now. I've tried a couple different recipes, but the soups always come out a little too watery. Other recipes have looked amazing, but they've had a huge list of ingredients and that just wasn't going to happen.

SO, you can imagine my excitement when I came across Jennifer's recipe for Potato Soup. I've tried some of her other recipes and have yet to be disappointed. After looking the recipe over, I decide to give it a few tweaks, while still maintaining Jennifer's foundation for a great and easy soup. I present to you...

What You'll Need:
-1/2 bag or 16oz Frozen Hashbrowns (tiny chopped pieces, not shredded) 
-2 cans Cream of Chicken
-2 1/2 soup cans full of milk
-8oz container of French Onion dip
-1/2 stick butter
-6 slices of bacon and the fat after cooking
-1 c cheddar cheese + extra for topping

One of the 2 big changes I made to the original recipe was to use chopped frozen hash browns vs shredded. By using chopped, you get little chunks of potatoes without all the work of chopping and peeling the real thing.

In a large pot or dutch oven, add butter. Once the butter is melted, add milk, cream of chicken, and container of french onion dip.

Once smooth and incorporated, add the hash browns and cheese. CHEESE. The other change I made to the recipe because every potato soup needs lots of cheese. Stir until melted.
While the cheese is melting, cook bacon until crispy, making sure to save the fat. Once the cheese is melted, crumble bacon and add it to the pot along with the leftover bacon fat. Bad for you yes, but it gives the soup a great smoky, bacon-y flavor.

Give it several good stirs, cover, and continue cooking for 20-25 minutes. 

Garnish with cheese, chives, bacon, or whatever else floats your boat. This soup's also great the next day!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I will have to try. When I make potato soup with potatoes that are peeled and sliced (I use Paula Deen's recipe normally) I only put enough water in the pot to cover the potatoes and then bring it to a boil. While it's boiling...I leave the lid off. I think this helps some of the liquid to evaporate, but you have to watch it in case too much water evaporates and they burn. Have you tried this? If not give it a try if you try out any other potato soup recipes. This looks a lot simpler though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried hers! I'll definitely look it up and give it a try! Thanks for the recommendation:)

      Delete