Friday, April 4, 2014

5 on Friday


Happy Friday! I can't believe we are already 4 days into the month of April. Did you know April happens to be a very special month? April marks the beginning of Autism Awareness Month. I am so privileged to work with individuals with autism and their families every day. 

To celebrate those living with autism and to bring awareness to this cause, I'm switching it up this Friday and centering my 5 things all around autism.

//one//
1 in 68. The number of individuals diagnosed with autism. This new number released last week from the CDC is an increase from just two years ago when the number was 1 in 88.

//two//
Although scientists and researchers are just beginning to scratch the surface of causes of autism, we know there is most likely both a genetic and environmental component of the disorder. We also know what DOES NOT cause autism. Please do your research. Make sure you're reading scientific articles, that are peer reviewed, published by credible sources. Googling autism, cures for autism, and causes of autism can lead you down a very scary and dangerous path. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. I'm sorry, sunshine will not "get rid of " your child's autism. (and yes, this is a real claim)

//three//
Early intervention is key! Know what to look for. Click here to learn about the signs and symptoms of autism. If you think you're child might display some of these signs or they aren't meeting milestones, please bring it up to your pediatrician. If they don't address your concerns, seek a second opinion or reach out to an autism center in your area to get an evaluation. ABA Therapy (Applied Behavior Analysis) combined with speech therapy, occupational therapy, and physical therapy can help bridge that gap of skills between children with autism and their typically developing peers.

//four//
Children and adults have autism. THEY ARE NOT AUTISTIC. This is called Person-First Language. We refer to the person first not their diagnosis. Their autism does not define who they are. Example: Jody has autism. Jody is not autistic. 

//five//
As much as I enjoy working with my clients, there is no way I would be able to do my job everyday if I didn't work for such a wonderful organization and with other people who are just as passionate about this population as I am. My boss is amazing, her boss is amazing, and many of my co-workers are some of my closet friends. 
(Just a few of the gals I'm lucky to work with wearing our blue on Light It Up Blue day April 2nd. We were missing several of our co-workers who were out of the office)
My boys also showed their support by wearing blue on Light It Up Blue day!

And to wrap up the first week of Autism Awareness month, we're holding our 11th Annual Bowling for Autism event on Saturday. All the funds raised go directly to support our clients and their families!


Questions about something you've read? Want to get more involved with autism or autism awareness? Email me at ourfishyfamily@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment