Thursday, January 29, 2015

DIY {Growth Chart}

This project is one of those things I have had pinned FOREVER, but just never got around to doing. I'm not sure if I thought it would be too hard, too much time, etc but have no fear! If I can do it, you can too. Seriously.

There wasn't one particular tutorial I followed, I found a few and took tips from each of them. Hopefully this one is pretty comprehensive and won't leave you with a bunch of questions.

What You'll Need:
-Piece of wood (I chose 1x10x6), but if you think your little guy/gal might be taller than 6ft, you can get a (1x10x8) and keep the length or have them cut it to a (1x10x7) Both Lowe's & Home Depot will do the cut for free. Here's a pic of the wood's barcode from Lowes.

-Stain. We had a bunch of different colors left over from when the house was built. I recommend in the Minwax brand, but really any brand will work. I chose the Dark Walnut #2716

-Large Permanent Marker-King Size

-Chalk
-Measuring Tape
-Sandpaper
-Foam Brushes. I picked up this pack from Walmart. It had a bunch of different sizes and was super cheap. Like $1. I used the biggest one in the pack. I recommend the foam brush unless you are using a very nice bristle brush that won't shed. The cheaper bristle brushes tend to leave little fibers behind and you'll notice them in your stain.

-Number Stickers. I used numbers you would put on mailboxes and found them in that section at Lowes. I got numbers 1-5, but get 1-6 if you are doing anything above the 6ft. board. Make sure you get the non-relfective ones. The reflective numbers will say so at the top.

So now on to how to make this thing.

Begin by lightly sanding the rough edges of the board until smooth. This will prevent you or your kids from getting little splinters and just gives it a more finished look.

Next, coat the board in one coat of stain. Go with the the grain, which just means do long brushstrokes the length of the board, not up and down width wise.

Let the first coat dry for about an hour then do a second coat. If your wood has little knots or kicks the stain will soak more into those areas. I happen to love that look, but you could always try to sand those out if you don't. Don't forget to coat the sides as well. I found one coat was enough for those.

Let the second coat dry completely overnight. Once the board is dry (shouldn't be sticky to the touch) bust out that tape measurer. Lay the tape measurer the entire length of the board.

Using chalk, VERY lightly mark every inch until you've done the whole board.

Next, I went back through and made sure the lines were all equal length. I did the following:
Inches were 1/2 inches in length
Every 1/2 ft(6th inch) was 1 inch in length
Every foot was 2 inches in length
These lengths are what I happened to like, but you can really do whatever. I would just make sure you have some sort of consistency (Making 1/2 ft mark double the inch mark and the ft mark 3x the inch mark for example)

This is what it looks like with the different lengths

Once the chalk lines are complete, it was time to trace over them with the permanent marker. I practiced on a piece of paper before I actually did it on the board. #fearoffailure

I did thinner lines for the inch marks, a little thicker for 1/2 ft. marks, and super thick for the ft. marks.

Get to marking. Relax, take a deep breath. It won't be perfect, but honestly you won't be able to tell when it's all said and done.

Next I stood the board up and fixed/straightened out any of the lines that weren't quite right.

Now comes the easy part. Place your stickers next to the foot marks. I had 5 stickers, but my board goes up to 6 ft. I bought a 6ft sticker and tried it out, but didn't like how it looked. I ended up adding a 6ft line at the very top of the board, but didn't put the number 6.

And there you have it! We are waiting to hang it until we move into the new house, but I can't wait to see how it will look! I plan to use a white sharpie to write in the kids' heights. 

P.S. If you haven't been keeping up with their heights, you can call your pediatricians office and get the heights from their well visits.


Linking up with Annie for Thoughts on Thursday.

4 comments:

  1. That is SO CUTE!!!!! We were just talking the other day about how we should be doing that. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been wanting to do it forever and just starting it was the hardest part:)

      Delete
  2. So cute! Love an easy DIY project. Stopping by from the link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for stopping by:)

      Delete