Thursday, February 5, 2015

DIY {Valentine's Felt Heart Wreath}


For the last couple of years I wanted a cute Valentine's wreath, but didn't want to shell out a ton of money for something that would be out a month. Of course, Pinterest came to the rescue and I am in LOVE with how this wreath turned out. This project requires very little supplies, but is time consuming so I recommend making this while watching your favorite movie and having a big ole glass of wine (or two).

What You'll Need:
-Styrofoam wreath in the shape of a heart (I got mine at Hobby Lobby and chose the biggest one they had)
-1 yard red felt
-straight pins
-ink pen
-scissors
-ribbon for hanging
-cup/glass for tracing roughly 3in. in diameter

Start by pouring yourself a glass of wine and turning on the Notebook. At least that's what I did. Just find something to watch or listen to as you trace and cut a billion circles. Note, your fingers will get sore from cutting through the felt so you may have to take breaks or do this over two days if you aren't crazy like myself.

I found the easiest and fastest way to get the circles was to trace a bunch of them in a line on the felt and then quickly cut squares where the circles were traced. I could then grab a stack of the squares and neatly cut out the circles without having lots of fabric to work around. Make sense?
Once the circles are cut out, fold the circle in half and then half again.

Stick a pin through the twice folded circle and then start sticking them in your wreath. For my OCD self this was the hardest part at first since there is no "right" way to do it. Trust me, you will get the hang of it and you'll start to see it come together. I wanted a really full looking wreath, so I pinned the circles really close together. This will also mean you'll need more circles overall.
For the dip of the heart and sides, I flipped the wreath on it's back and pinned enough circles on the sides that you could't see the white when looking at it from the front.

The final step is pinning the ribbon in order to hang it. There's no rhyme or reason to it, just pin it on and then hang it to see how it looks. I ended up adding more pins to get the wreath to lay flat when hanging.

Now all your guests are greeted with a little Valentine's day love!

Linking up with Annie & Astleigh.

9 comments:

  1. I saw this idea on Pinterest, and I definitely want to make one. Happy Thursday, Cortney :)

    http://www.lovecompassionatelee.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try this- I love how it looks all scrunched together like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The more you scrunch the fuller it looks. I did lots of scrunching:)

      Delete
  3. I love it! It turned out so fancy. Pinning this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and it's a totally do-able pin:)

      Delete
  4. Super cute wreath! I love the texture! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm going to be a little sad when I have to take it down:)

      Delete
  5. That turned out super cute! I attempted a similar wreath two years ago using fabric and it is not nearly as cute...using the stick pins is a much better solution!

    ReplyDelete